Monday, June 8, 2015

Gossip

Gossip has somehow been the most appealing activity to many women. Surprisingly, or not so surprisingly, men also like to indulge in gossip.

I grew up being taught that gossip is not to be believed or entertained or to be considered as anything lesser than a sin where the Almighty will pierce your eyes out for that sin (Thank you game of Thrones season 4 for giving us an idea how it would have been like if the tambrahm kids actually had Ummachi kuthufying our eyes)

It is again noteworthy that the elders, nay the generation that has just retired, or has plans of retiring, or has retired long back enjoy the pleasure gossiping.

It takes a lot of people by an unbelievable surprise that gossip is something I don't engage in. Although I grew out of the fear that my Ummachi would bother coming all the way down to poke my eyes, I found it basically pointless. Further, I should also be honest that I never actually took the effort to learn how to gossip. Yes, I am THAT lazy.

As usual, there have been a series of events that made me take the effort of writing this post. I have been examining the nature of gossip. To me, I like to define it as the need to know private details of someone's life, judge, comment, have fun, compare thyself, mock insult, harm, feel jealous, (okay, the list is long), repeat
The inevitable aspect of gossip is that there is always a scapegoat.

I have been noticing people enjoying the idea of having me in the center of the circle. I cannot deny that I absolutely loathed it in the beginning. I used almost every word in the bible of cuss words, I wanted to do everything to defend myself, offend those, till at one point I decided to give up. That point came when I understood the mechanism of gossip. This is when I was happy about being lazy, and fearing God as a kid.

The last time I almost began to worry about being a scapegoat, I was reminded of how gossip looks like from my perspective. To put the entire thing in a few words, and one picture, here below is how gossip looks like, and shan't bother if you choose not to care.



Amused, de-stressed, peace restored. 

No comments: