Wednesday, October 22, 2008

TEN DAYS TO EAT

today i am reminded of hellen keller who wrote an essay "THREE DAYS TO SEE".
that poor lady was who was deprived of the ability to see. she had written about her deepest feelings about the importance of sight.

Today i tell about the importance of taste. I might be a good cook, but all the people of the world irrespective of their ability of cook deserve a good meal. If i have learnt how to cook, I owe the credits to my father who ordered me to make my own food to suit my palate. And why i demanded good food for my palate was because of my cook who made intangible and inedible food.

After navrathri, the couple went out for a vacation to their relative's wedding. For these 10 days, me and my mom took charge of the whole house. I would buy milk, make coffee, we would sit together, have coffee, read the newspaper, have breakfast, make lunch together, play carom, watch any movie on TV, or finish any work outside, and make dinner in the evening, and finish our early dinner. The early dinner resulted in a good night's sleep and a proper appetite for a right breakfast in the morning, and a proper cycle follows everyday.

Last evening, my mother had made Rava upma, a dish generally disliked by people. it was amazing, i had it plain without any condiment.

Today morning i woke up and went rushing into the kitchen after exercise to check out what was ready for a yummy breakfast. "come here. i would like u to have your breakfast in front of me" said my mother. should have understood what it meant. vermicelli upma was made today. couldnt have anything more than a teaspoon. i added some coconut chutney that was made. still couldnt eaet it, then added some curd, still couldnt have it, then added some mango pickle, still couldnt eat it. added some crushed papad to let it cross my tongue and get into the gut.(the upma was made by the cook who returned back after his holiday)

these ten days, i never touched papads. we never had junk, we consumed least of carbohydrates. today eating the first serving of rice was like a challenge. i took about half an hour to finish that. Then i realised that the ones who had a true vacation was me and mom than the cook. believe me it was like hellen keller's desire to see atleast for three days in her life. we had made food of different kinds, different cuisines, and today, back to square one, it was like getting into a sanyasi's life, mixing everything in the plate and trying our best to let it in. the sanyasis became sansaaris and sanyaasis again....

after the so called lunch, we were searching for some junk to eat, which we never even thought of in these 10 days

4 comments:

panmanpp said...

I can cook well too!!!B-)

tropical iceberg said...

good for u and ur wife

Agni said...

Hmm... Good narration! But y don't u change the cook?! :o

tropical iceberg said...

yogaesh,
the cooks have a great demand here. finding one is a mission. and so very unfortunately people who taste the food made by them tell us this. besides, our family members have named him our "Man Friday" :P