Sunday, November 30, 2008

ONE MINUTE MANAGER

I read the One Minute Manager last week. oh yes, i only read fiction or non fiction books in the college library. its very rare for one to find me reading books on biochemistry or biotechnology. (chemistry i am well equipped with books at home). It was a good read. I had in fact read this after reading who moved my cheese by the same author.

something that influenced me or rather struck me really well, is his first key to success. It talked about making one minute goals. I've prepared so many goals till date, and hit the bulls eye not very often. I started wondering about it after reading the book. It then reminded me of the chattery me.
I am a person who talks talks talks and talks. so writing things short was a problem. i needed to explain things out clearly.
I was also reminded of a comment that I had got for my previous blog, that it was too long that one could lose patience no matter how interesting it might seem. I believed it because i felt the same when i read really long posts in forums or other blogs. i later realized that THE ONE MINUTE MANAGER book primarily fascinated me because it was not lengthy. i started comparing it with the other non fiction books that I've read. And i found out that the books i vividly remember reading, or rather enjoyed reading were the ones which were written short and sweet.

i started writing things really short, then i realised it was very simple and easy. I could write summaries short and sweet. The last summary i had written was for 7 lines and it was thoroughly sane and explanatory.

Now i hope i become a O.Henry in the making. (too much... i know...)

1 comment:

Agni said...

Ha ha ha :) True! Lengthy posts seldom impress people... But certain topics, specifically the ones dealt in novels or blog posts related to emotions, could not be cut short and the purpose would not be solved by a short manuscript. But yeah! As a general practice, keeping it short and sweet helps...

--Yogaesh