Tuesday, January 13, 2009

French Cuisine of yuvamahotsav 2008

Here is this youth festival of 2008- The YUVAMAHOTSAV. It was surely better than last year to me. A lot of good this happened, and I am so very happy for it. I pushed the folks of my class into various activites to participate, and they were happy for it. Now here is what happened to the activity that I participated.

There were about 30 events this year. I had participated in quite a few. But I got a good deal of appreciation for the French cuisine and group dance. I was to make a really yummy dish for the French cuisine, something that one cant actually imagine (this is absolutely unique of me) that dish got unduly cancelled at the last moment. So I went to my friendwith this problem. He searched me a nice link for the competition which was advanced by a day. I then also rushed to madhushree iyer, a girl who knew better French than me to translate it. At about 8.30 in the night, I went out, bought the ingredients, and made the chocolate mousse by 10 pm. Fortunately I had the cup in which traditional French desserts are served. Indians will look down at it calling it the irani hotel chai cup.
Fortunately it turned out well in the morning when I woke up.
In the competition when I was allotted my table, I realized that I did not bring any table cloth or anything. My partner rupa had come by then making a fair copy of the recipe. She then took out a small bandhni red colored hanky that she brought to wipe out mehendi, and laid it on the table. I was so very scared how I would manage my way through. Because I dint have a proper look at the French version of the recipe. There were people who had their dish garnished so pretty. But mine didn’t ask for more garnish (strawberry, chocolate, custard, what not). The main part is that one table before me, and one table after me had made chocolate mousse. I stood there with absolutely no expectations. By the time the judge was two tables away, I observed that the participants were doing their explanation in English. And Lo! This is my day! I was happy and sure that I can do well. The previous participant had claimed it to be a vegetarian chocolate mousse (so was mine). Then they said they added gelatin, which is not vegetarian (point was noted). Then the judges came to my table. I told them about my dish, by the time they were at my table, I heard one of the judges say that she makes chocolate mousse often. I explained the way I made it. I also told them about me adding a flavor of coffee in it to give it my characteristic professional touch. The judges were highly calorie conscious. They had limited servings at each table. When the judge took his spoon, I gave him the calorific value that took him back. He took a smaller serving. Once he had it, he took a bigger second serve. So did the other judge.
Then once the judgment was done, my friends came over to taste it. Everyone liked it. One of them wanted it every weekend! :P
And when me and my partner were walking away to the other competitions, our friends, who were the volunteers, secretly told us that we won. And we did!
All the while i also had the support of another friend Animish Raje. Thanks Krishnan,
Animish, Madhushree, and Rupa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome... gave me the feeling that it was I who had won, towards the end... and that is the best complement I can give this :)

tropical iceberg said...

thankyou!
watch out, theres something more exciting to come